Setting Equipment - OST Setting Equipment - OST

I love it! The sounds you use go great together, the changes and the way the song builds are smooth. The one thing i would say could be improved is where it loops. Don't get me wrong, it works fine, but the song builds up an energy, and you can kinda feel it drop when it goes back to the beginning. this is where i stop being helpful though, because I'm not sure what could be done to fix it haha, it's just what stuck out to me. Overall though, this is awesome, seriously, I know you said you were a beginner at this but you definitely have a knack for it.

ZepicZorua responds:

I'll keep that in mind lol. The hardest thing is coming up with something to make and finding the right tune.

quake quake

I should note at the start that this really isn't my kind of music, but here's what you did that i was able to appreciate:

The sounds you used all work together really well and every change was smooth and added something interesting to the riff, or changed it in some significant way without ever feeling jarring. I also like the sounds in the intro that kind of built a world around the kick drum; simple, but atmospheric. I kind of thought the individual riffs went on a little long, or could have used some more varied repetitions, if that makes sense; someting like, repeat this riff for 3 times, then the next twice, then another one 3 times so you end up with a total of 8, still fitting with the 4/4 time signature but varying the changes up. That's my 2 cents but like i said, this isn't the kind of music i would actively listen to. This track is, however, something i would love to play Geometry Wars to. Good stuff!

Dream Dream

Nice, I don't know why but this track gave me an odd nostalgic feeling. It's a little awkward when the drums go from halftime in the beginning to straight quarter note beats, if you had some kind of small drum fill to cue the change it might be a but smoother. My only other major complaint would be that the main chord progression doesn't change, and while all the riffs and instruments you've used go well together, it's a little lacking in variety. Good stuff though, keep at it!

Zekronz responds:

Thank you for the feedback!

Blade Blade

I love the intro and overall laid-back feel. Makes me feel like I'm walking through a collapsing city like it's just another day haha. The beat drop near the middle is a little awkward, but i think if, instead of doing the fade in, you played that same riff but made the notes staccato while the main riffs and beat faded in over a measure or two that'd sound SO sick. Maybe just a simple square wave, something unexpectedly simple. Overall, I love this track though. Everything else was spot on

DJ-Nitro responds:

Thank you, I am horrible at buildups so I am sorry.

[Tsets] - Jack Is Coming For You [Tsets] - Jack Is Coming For You

I love the way the bass kinda thrums through the entire song; it adds an almost electric feel to the song, and it never gets in the way of the other sounds. Mega props to your mixing skills my friend. I'm not sure how i feel about the speed up in the last third of the song, but the pieces individually go together really well and i didn't feel like it took away from the song so that might just be a preference thing. I do think the slowdown at the end works beautifully though. I'm not really sure where I'd see this in a video game (aside from maybe a DDRE track) but I would be neither surprised nor disappointed if it were in a game i was playing. The ending I think would have been way better if you'd let that last note ring out instead of cutting it off, but as it is now it actually loops pretty well so I wouldn't call that a problem so much as, again, a preference. Keep it up!

TsetsukenMusic responds:

Thank you!! Mixing has always been a worst enemy in a lot of my songs and that means a lot that you say that. :D

The sped up part in the last third of the song I'm thinking of actually changing/working on (or writing a Version 2 with a separate upload and leave this one as is possibly). I felt like it could build to something nicer (or approached differently essentially) and just couldn't find the right piece to fit in there.

This track is mostly for fun, I honestly wouldn't know what kind of game it would fit in either. I think in he beginning, where the beat starts up, could be looped and made into something for background music for sure! The arp in the end could also be salvaged and made into something, slow it down make it creepy, could work in something I think.

I'll have to work on a version 2 of this song, it seems like the direction I might take, nonetheless, thank you so much! :)

Dylnmatrix - Hyperresonance Dylnmatrix - Hyperresonance

I definitely dig the echo on the intro riff, It's really active but it's not jarring at the start of the song since it's kind of muffled. The first percussion instrument, that comes in at around 0:57, is a little loud, especially compared to the kick that comes in around there. It takes a lot of attention away from the other instruments in the song. Other than that, there's a ton of variety and it all flows really smoothly together, and you make really good use of the wah-like effect. The beat also changes up frequently enough to keep things pretty interesting along with the new riffs.

4.5/5 stars, but only because of the level of that first percussion instrument. I'd give it a 4.75 if i could because it's not that big of a deal but it definitely detracted from the intro in my opinion.

Dylnmatrix responds:

Thanks for the review! I agree that the hi-passed kick at the beginning is a bit loud. When it came to releasing the track when I did, I meant to actually automate the volume of the kick so it wasn't so loud, but completely forgot before rendering ^^;

Other than that I'm glad you liked the track!

The Nyarlathotep Step The Nyarlathotep Step

I love the noisy aspect of the song, it's very atmospheric. a little abrasive as far as intros go but it fits well with the rest of the song. I like the use of the ring modulator too(or at least whatever it is that sounds like a ring modulator), it definitely adds to the atmosphere. You might want to work on making your stuff more melodic though, as there's not much aside from atmosphere here. I'm not terribly familiar with industrial music aside from listening to a bit of NiN, so if melody isn't what you're going for then by all means you keep doing you, but overall I'd say you have a solid foundation, yet it's missing something pretty to hold the interest; like a warehouse wall without some sick ass graffiti.

TheSecretProvider responds:

Thanks man, yeah I was trying to capture the way Nyarlathotep communicate through colors rather than purely through sound so I wanted to paint with textures as much as possible; glad you picked up on it.

Violent Voltage Violent Voltage

As far as bosses go, this makes me think mad scientist/cyborg/cult leader, which i didn't know was a thing until i wanted to kill it while listening to this track. I like the almost industrial quality it has, and the mix of classic electronic drum sounds sound awesome next to the clearer chime/bell sounds, which also sound awesome ringing through the elecronic static fuzzing about in the background. Excellent work. The only reason i wouldn't give this 5 stars is because it loses a bit of it's luster after a few loops, but it doesn't become grating and the loops themselves are seamless.

ClimbLadders responds:

One of the most detail reviews I had in a while, and I apprciate it. There was actually supposed to be 2 phasers in the basses...1 for each. One lasts for 4 measures, and the other lasts for 2 measures. But somehow, they because super weak. But I'm still happy it came out this way. Also, I realized that I should have changed the pad's composition a little (after the "bells" stops for a while) but now its too late! Thanks for the compliment and the review.

Uplifter (Preview) Uplifter (Preview)

Damn... I thoroughly enjoyed this track. I want to give a more helpful review but I honestly can't think of anything you could have done to make this song better. The ending was a little abrupt and kind of felt unexpected, but it doesn't really take away from the song.

The track kind of travels, like a story, going through different scenes until at the very end where it sounds like you have most of all the instruments you used playing different riffs, and they all coincide perfectly. I don't usually listen to songs this long all the way through but this track was worth finishing.

Keep making tracks like this man, that is some sick shit.

Keitomine responds:

Thanks for review! The reason it ends so abruptly is because it's a preview. I'm at the point where I need to start really working on the engineering, so I decided to post a preview of what it sounds like. The ending won't be too hard to compile as most trance tracks just reverse the intro. I'm really glad you enjoyed it though. Put some serious thought behind this one.

Rage Rage

I like your choice of sounds quite a bit, but the lead riff could use a little spicing up. It's interesting rhythmically but since it only switches between a few notes it gets a little old kind of fast, at least since it's so high in the mix.

Also, everyone else commented on this so i may get my two cents in as well: If this were the background music to a boss I wouldn't feel like it's out of place, however the specific idea i get is one of those parts of a game where you fight the final boss preemptively, where you're either supposed to lose or the fight ends via some deus ex machina. I feel like this track is more suited to a scene where the villain begins enacting his evil plan or doing something generally unpleasant for the protagonists, something the audience feels helpless to stop. This is definitely villain music, and overall i liked it. Like I said though, maybe vary the lead riff a little more.

SoTJake responds:

Yeah, you are right, the main lead should have more variety or lower in the mix. I put it higher as I thought the bass riff sounded too aggressive and could be hard on the ears. I also thought that if you are in a bossfight, especially a fight where you are struggling to survive, you are more concentrating on the fight and the soundtrack should be driving, yet also a bit repetative. Maybe I overdid it a bit with the "repetative part".

As for the impression of this track as boss music I think that your impression is quite on the spot. When comparing the track to actual boss of games I played (only gameplay-wise, not comparing the soundtracks) I thought of the fights in Deus Ex, where you had to fight in a more indirect way and the bosses where always chasing you, and Hotline Miami, where this driving atmosphere and constant fear of getting killed with 1 shot was prevalent. Anyways, thank you very much for your review, glad to hear some useful advice :)